Friday, February 27, 2009

Phase 2 Grocery List

UPDATE: We now have a P90X Grocery List for phase 2 available in Microsoft Word format for download!



This grocery list was MUCH easier to create than Phase 1's. It still took time, of course, but it was not nearly as frustrating as creating the grocery list for phase 1. I was even able to fit the grocery items and the recipes all onto one page. (Yay!)

A few tricks for understanding the shopping list (if you're already familiar with this from the Phase 1 Grocery List, you can skip this part):

1. I color coded the items based on whether they are for breakfast only, snack only, lunch only, dinner only, or a general item. That way, if you don't want to make any of the lunch items, for example, you can easily take out the green-colored items you don't need.

2. If the ingredient is for a specific recipe, I included a shortened version of the recipe name in parenthesis at the end of the ingredient. Once again, if you don't want to make that recipe, you don't need to buy these items. If the ingredient's text color is black, it is used for more than just breakfast or lunch, etc.

3. If an item is italicized, that means it is an ingredient for a recipe that makes more than one serving. So the quantity is flexible depending on how many servings you really want to make. I did not include the recipes that make more than four servings, so I recommend that you consult the list in the book and see which of these recipes you want to make and then add the quantities you want. There were not NEARLY as many of these items for Phase 2 as there were for Phase 1. (Once again, yay!)

4. I also included a list with the names of the recipes for Phase 2. These are also color-coded; show the page number the recipe is on; states how many servings they make if they make more than one; and, if I did not include the ingredients on the grocery list, that is stated as well.

I created the grocery list in Microsoft Word 2007, that way it is easy to edit. (However, as I found out with Phase 1's grocery list, I can't upload that type of document here. If you would like the Word version of this file, leave a comment with a way I can get it to you.) Also, it is a grocery list for ONE PERSON for ONE WEEK using the "Meal Plan Approach" for Level I.

If you want the un-editable page of the grocery list, click below to see the full image:

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've done a lot of work! My husband and I are just about to start the P90X program and I figured I would check the web to see if someone typed up the grocery list...and sure enough, I found someone! Could you send me the Word document for your grocery list (any and all phases)??? Thanks ahead of time!! akrzus@yahoo.com

mle said...

I would love to have a copy of the Word file for the grocery lists. I will be doing Level 1, but my husband is Level 3, so I'll need to update the amounts so that we have enough for both of us. Thanks! mle99a[at]gmail[dot]com

Laila said...

Thanks for your help, Im just starting the P90x today is my second day...I have not gone grocery shopping but would like to know if it is way too expensive? The economy now is not good...
Thanks!

theJerm said...

It is definitely more expensive to get all the recommended items, however, I still recommend it, but with some twists.

You can buy healthy choice frozen meals for lunches. You can buy the egg whites, but not cook quite as much as they recommend. Are egg whites are still lasting, with one carton left and we are on week six.

Buy the generic brands for the protein bars and powder for your shakes. And buy Gatorade in bulk instead of the recovery drink.

By lightening the portions slightly (but still eating enough), and getting 'Healthy Choice' frozen meals, along with generic brands, you will save loads. Good luck!

Heidi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heidi said...

That's funny that Jeremy said it is "definitely more expensive" because I was going to say that it cost about the same as what we were previously spending on groceries. :P

As Jeremy said, though, we haven't bought all of the items (i.e., the lunch items because we use the Healthy Choice meals) and we have bought generic where available.

Several of the items that you buy will last you for several weeks, especially if you are able to buy them at Costco (like protein bars, "Real Egg" egg whites, etc.).

Also, several of the recommended items are things that we were already buying with our groceries (i.e., yogurt, string cheese, ground turkey, salad, Healthy Choice frozen meals, etc.), so we weren't departing too much from our regular eating habits. Our eating has become more refined (selective?), so we may be spending more money on "healthy" foods now, but we are spending less money on "junk" foods.

Laila said...

WOW! just went and bought everything, spent like 30dlls more, but next time it wont be that much since I didnt have allot of condiments that will last for a while.....couldnt find dash 17 condiment though! well I started today...I really hope it works...
Thanks

theJerm said...

Laila, good for you for going out and getting the right foods. If your experience is like mine, you will be sore the first few weeks.

But stick with it, and stay as close to the eating plan as you can (doesn't have to be perfect). Work as hard as you can in the workouts without overdoing it.

I am very happy with my results, as you can see from this blog post: http://p90xfamily.blogspot.com/2009/03/skinned-cat.html

Laila said...

Just wanted to let you know that today is the end of my first week... and....Im now 6 lbs less!!!!! I am so excited...just wanted to share that with you since I feel that youve helped me so much with all your posts...my husband lost 5 lbs! I will keep you posted! Im working on getting my groccery list to go shop for next week

Heidi said...

WOW, Laila! That is awesome! You two are obviously doing things right! :D

hi2co said...

Could you send me the Word document for your grocery list (any and all phases)??? Thanks ahead of time!! Fjschwab@gmail.com

THANKS!!

Anonymous said...

thank you so much for putting the grocery list together. I don't think my husband and I would have started if it wasn't for how much easier it was because you of you. We're almost done with phase 1 and I was hoping...actually praying that you had one up. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Mattie